Dr. Chet Weld
Licensed Professional Counselor
Ed.D. in Counseling Psychology
Couple Counseling and Individual Psychotherapy
For appointments: 520-791-9974
Dr. Chet Weld has been a marriage and individual counselor for over 30 years. Presently, he serves as a marriage and individual counselor at Renewal Centers Counseling Services. He has also been a Christian-based counselor for over 30 years. He believes that it’s important to be “warm and human first; professional always.”
Dr. Weld’s work with couples include affair situations, communications training, helping couples to meet unmet needs, parenting issues, premarital counseling, and a variety of couples’ issues. He also counsels individuals who suffer from such disorders as anxiety, depression, addictions, panic, OCD, codependency, bipolar, grieving, and spiritual growth issues (finding meaning in life and relationships). He gives a variety of psychological assessments.
Dr. Weld has been trained in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Family Systems Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Narrative Therapy, and other counseling approaches. Sometimes in couples counseling, he uses principles of Intimacy Therapy (for example, teaching couples to comfort each other) and Integrative Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (teaching how perceptions influence our reactions, plus teaching the importance of accepting each other as imperfect).
With clients who value spirituality, Dr. Weld enjoys integrating biblical principles and techniques, including prayer and biblical truths. He’s found that “almost anything that works” (and is spoken of in evidence-based secular counseling literature) is either stated or illustrated in the bible. He believes that this is because God gives both wisdom and common sense (Job 39:17).
He enjoys counseling people from all religious and cultural backgrounds. He abides by the ethical standards of the American Counseling Association (ACA) and the American Association of Christian Counseling (AACC). The link to ACA is https://www.counseling.org/. The link to AACC is http://www.aacc.net/.
● Licensed by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners as a Licensed Professional Counselor since licensing began in 1996.
● B.A. from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1970
● M.Ed. in Counseling and Guidance in 1977 from the University of Arizona
● Ed.D. in Counseling Psychology from Argosy University in 2006 (Orange County Campus)
● Summer studies at Dartmouth College while in high school
● Other universities attended: Union Theological Seminary, N.Y., N.Y.; Chapman University; Ohio University; Ohio State University; and Fuller Theological Seminary; earned a three-year Bible Diploma from Grace Bible College (which was not accredited).
● The American Association of Christian Counselors (see his bio on AACC.net); Society for Christian Psychologists.
● Certified by the International Board of Christian Counselors as a Board Certified Professional Christian Counselor
● Counseling and Values (a publication of the American Counseling Association), The Family Journal, and The Journal of Psychology and Theology. (Journal articles were co-authored by his dissertation chair, Dr. Karen Eriksen.)
● Co-authored a chapter in Culturally Alert Counseling, edited by Garrett McAuliffe., still widely used at many universities.
● Doctoral dissertation about client expectations of prayer when seeing a Christian-based counselor is available at ResearchGate.com or by contacting Dr. Weld.
● Other articles and blogs can be accessed through Google.
Dr. Weld also enjoys teaching and giving seminars on a variety of counseling related subjects, including marital issues, stress management, conflict resolution.
Dr. Weld’s hobbies are reading books on miracles and taking walks. He also enjoys spending time with his wife and exercising at the gym. He has trained over 250 lay counselors in Christian-based counseling.
David Grinney is the photographer of the beautiful sunset on the top of the Home page.